The Land Use Committee is a standing committee of the Sellwood Moreland Improvement League (SMILE) formed to review land use notices, liquor license applications, and in certain cases, file official comments on behalf of SMILE. The committee also organizes SMILE member participation in long term planning efforts which affect the SMILE neighborhood. More details can be found in the Land Use Committee Guidelines.
What does the committee do?
- Reviews and responds to land use notices, such as property owner requests for lot divisions, zoning code adjustments, design reviews, and greenway reviews.
- Hosts contact meetings with developers and neighbors.
- Reviews and responds to liquor license applications
- Receives notification of applications for marijuana medical dispensaries and marijuana business retailers.
- Receives notification of demolition permit applications.Participates in City of Portland’s long term planning process, including the Comprehensive Plan, Mixed Use Zones Project, and Residential Infill Project.
- Informs SMILE members about land use issues and the City zoning code.
- Represents SMILE on the Southeast Uplift Land Use and Transportation committee
GET INVOLVED – LEARN MORE
- Subscribe to the SMILE land use listserve at http://sellwood.org/mailman/
listinfo/landuse-l_sellwood. org . You will receive committee meeting agendas and neighborhood land use notices by email.
- Attend a Land Use Committee meeting the first Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm at the SMILE Station, 8210 SE 13th Ave, corner of 13th & Tenino.
- Email the chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES
Overview of land use and zoning
- Portland Maps – property and tax information on most properties in the City. Enter property address, scroll down to Permits & Zoning, click Zoning
- Title 33: Portland’s Zoning Code – regulations that govern land use:
- ABCs of Land Use – basic land use and zoning information from the city
Information on developments in SMILE neighborhood
- Portland Maps, property and tax information on most properties in the City. Enter property address, scroll down to Permits & Zoning, , click Permits
- Land use notices in Southeast Portland: notices that are open for public comment
- Land use decisions in Southeast Portland
- Public hearings
- Metro Reports – Lists of building permit applications, issued building permits, and land use review intakes
- Next Portland: Website with development updates and interactive development map
- Portland Chronicle: Land use and development news, especially demolitions
- Recent liquor license applications
City planning process
- Portland Comprehensive Plan Update: a long-range 20-year plan that sets the framework for physical development of the cityplanning future development
- Mixed Use Zones Project: developing new mixed use planning nd zoning designations to help implement the Centers and Corridors concepts
- Residential Infill Project: addresses the scale and design of new houses and home additions, determines where new houses on narrow lots would be allowed, and explores alternative housing options in single dwelling neighborhoods
- Recent SMILE land use testimony and correspondence
- 7119 SE Milwaukie – 12/8/16
- Inclusionary zoning – 12/8/16
- Residential Infill Project Testimony – 11/4/16
- Design Overlay to Neighborhood Center – 10/3/16
- Portland Comprehensive Plan Testimony – 9/22/16
- Portland Comprehensive Plan Testimony – 4/14/2016
- Brummell Testimony – 12/15/2015
- SE 13th Testimony – 12/16/2015
- Sellwood Bridgehead Testimony – 12/16/2015
- North Westmoreland Testimony – 11/18/2015
- QFC Parking Lot Testimony – 10/26/2015
- Springwater Corridor Zoning – 10/25/2015
- Southeast Uplift: Coalition of 20 Southeast Neighborhood Associations
- Southeast Uplift Land Use and Transportation Committee